Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Vulnerability in Happiness

Drop whatever is on your mind right now and picture something for me. Think back to the last time you saw someone get blindsided, in any situation really, a car accident, a quarterback getting nailed, or some kid getting sucker punched. Now, put yourself in that person's position and try to capture exactly how they felt when they happened. Now, for some of us that's an easy feeling to absorb, I mean a lot of people have had something done to them when their guard was down. However, for others I would imagine it is not as easy for them to capture the exact feeling that people go through when this happens. They would obviously find some negativity in it, but, chances are, that they would neglect how horrible this feeling really is. It's something that happens at your most vulnerable point and it just changes how you feel in an instant, and it's really quite unpleasant. However, for those of you who can't a time when they were physically blindsided, I can almost guarantee that you have been emotionally blindsided at some point in your life, and, believe it or not, the feeling that you get is incredibly similar.

I'm sure a lot more people realize this now, since it has been referenced in a few pop culture and media situations, but I didn't know for the longest time that the popular nursery rhyme "Ring Around the Rosie" was actually based off of the Bubonic Plague. For anyone who is hearing this for the first time, I'm sure you're thinking back to yourself and realizing how horribly depressing the reference actually is. It really does make it that much worse as well that they sort of hide it behind this happy little song, and when you find out that it has such a negative underlying context, you almost want to scold yourself for thinking positively about something with such a negative context.

That aside, a lot of poets over the years have taken advantage of this concept to evoke more critical emotions from their readers. Dorothy Parker had a very dark sense of humor that involved both satire and cynicism, and she used this in much of her poetry. Granted, she personally probably found a lot of depressing references to be humorous. Quite frankly, I do agree with her, but only because some of my humor is rather similar, but when I think about the true meaning of the poem, it completely wipes away that humor and gets me depressed.

However, out of all of the poetry and art I have ever encountered, the poem that captures this feeling most to me is "Incident" by Countee Cullen. Through the whole first stanza you get this great feeling reading about a happy little kid probably just visiting Baltimore, and he goes through this horrific experience that ruined his entire trip and probably scars him for a long time. You just feel horrible after you read this because of how badly this little kid gets blindsided. The emotional morbidness of this poem, in my mind precisely captures the feeling of being blindsided, and, after reading it, if you haven't truly experienced how it feels to be blindsided, this poem will definitely do it for you.

3 comments:

  1. Joe--I really like how you use such colorful language. I can just picture this stuff in my head. I love the reference to the ring around the rosie song because when I found out that that song was not about something happy I was shocked! Thank you for opening my eyes about other things that are similar. Good Job Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh, I love this one. I think the reason I love it so much is because everyone can relate to this topic. There are so many times when you are unprepared for situations and you can never help but to think you could have stopped it. The fact is though, if you spent your whole life watching out for situations so that you would never be blindsided, you would be major paranoid and it would still be highly likely that something would catch you by surprise. It would be so interesting to find other poems about this because now that I think about this, it is soo true. Great post! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is probably my favorite post. I agree with everything you said, and I agree about being blindsided, and the sense of hindsight and regret that comes after it. I like the reference to ring around the rosie, it reminds me of the Korn song Shoots and Ladders.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete