Sunday, September 19, 2010

Equal Poetry, Equal Music

This week was a rough week. Projects, tests, and homework. I can't say that I forgot all that I learned, but I can tell you what I enjoyed and actually helped me write lyrics to my first single of my album. Well, enough with what I did, now to what I enjoyed in poetry class this week. Frost and Whitman are two of the four poets we have learned about this year.

In my opinion, Frost use of sound of sense helped me understand the meaning of what his poem was truly about. The everyday language helps not only the meaning of the poem, but also you can have a connection to the poet and what he is truly trying to say. Frost's poem, "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening", was one of my favorite poems of the year. Why you may ask? Well duh, because its Frost! My teacher, Mrs. Lewis, gave us assignments to do about his poem, "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening", and I can honestly say that Frost gave me an easy assignment because as I said before his use of the everyday language, sound of sense.

I love music, and the first two artist that came into my head while reading Frost was, Mike Posner, and John Mayer. I thought of them because they produce songs that help the listening connect with them, just like Frost and his poems. In Mike Posner's song, "Please Don't Go",

"Baby please don't go
If I wake up tomorrow, will you still be here?
I don't know if you feel the way I do
If you leave I'm gonna find you"

Simple lyrics, to a simple song. That's what got me to love Frost's poems so much. His stories connected with me, and I put on his shoes and ran away.

The second poet we learned about this week was, Walt Whitman. Whitman uses a technique not used by Frost called, Parallelismus Membrorum. Using this technique gave Whitman' s poem, "America", much more feeling and meaning. "America" is all about Whitman' s view upon this lovely country. He is very anti- slavery and believes that there are "equal daughters, and equal sons", saying that people should not be judged by how "grown, ungrown, young or old" doesn't matter, everyone is equal and should be accepted. He also goes on to to talk about the, "seated mother". There is always be someone looking over us through the bad and the good. In the end, I think Whitman is trying to tell us that we should not view people by their class, or their age. But, by the way they act and they way they treat you. I love both poets we have learned about and cannot wait to learn more about their lives and how I can connect to their lives through their poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment